Monday, May 11, 2009

Eye Opener: Learning Activity Results


----Kathy----
For this activity we did an activity about lead based paint and the harm it can cause. Here are my results for Kathy's crossword puzzle!

DOWN
1) Fetal

3) Older

4) 1978

5) Myth


ACROSS

2) Gasoline

4) 1940
6) Paint
7) Sperm
8) 80%

9) Dust

Our landlords don't think lead poisoning would be an issue in my house. I know most landlords are suppose to forewarn their tenants if that could be an issue. My little sister was living in a house where th
ere was extreme levels of lead and she couldn't have small pets living with her! Thankfully, she recently moved out of that apartment.
Thanks for the activity Kathy, it was fun!



----Heather----
For this activity we had to go to the Health Partners website and check out their Cost of Care. The categories you could look up were Annual Planner, Treatment Costs, and Procedure Costs. I choose to look up what it would cost for an annual eye exam since that was the last thing I went to the doctor for. Here was what I discovered:
Overall, kind of a scary activity, I can't image not having access to Health Insurance!



----Steve----
Steve's goal for his activity was to our group on the different types of phobias documented. Here are my results to his activity:
Section 1:

1. Pteromerhanophobia - The fear of flying
2. Tachophobia - The fear of speed
3. Wiccaphobia - The fear of witches/witchcraft
4. Autophobia - The fear of being alone
5. Bathmophobia - The fear of stairs/steep slopes
6. Glossophobia - The fear of speaking in public
7. Chronomentrophobia - The fear of clocks
8. Cacophobia - The fear of ugliness
9. Leukophobia - The fear of color white
10. Mysophobia - The fear of dirt and germs

Section 2:
1.Fear of Cooking-Mageirocophobia
2 Fear of Birds-Ornithophobia
3 Fear of houses-Domatophobia
4 Fear of needles and points- Aichmophobia
5 Fear of clowns-Coulrophobia
6 Fear of cats-Elurophobia
7 Fear of the sun-Heliophobia
8 Fear of gaining weight-Obesophobia
9 Fear of strangers/ foreigners-Xenophobia 10 Fear of large things-Megalophobia

I have never heard of half of these! Crazy that people are really scared to death of these everyday things! Fun activity Steve, now I will dominate when the Jeopardy category is PHOBIAS!! =)


----Christen----
For Christen's activity we had to watch 'The Health Insurance Game', and discuss whether we felt the video showed bias or whether it was an appropriate demonstration. I feel that Health Insurance is such a huge issue and that as students we may not be too worried about it right now but that will change in the future! But I do think that the video made an interesting point and that everyone deserves affordable health care!



----Kaileigh----
For Kaileigh's activity we had to go to the FCIC's page and learn about Long Term Health Care. Afterwords we had to comment on what we learned. Here's what I got from it:

First of all I really didn't know the difference between health insurance and long term health care. Which is crazy because I work in an assisted living facility where many of the residents probably have this type of coverage. But when you get older you can also use it to live in a nursing home. The coverage is also for people who need constant care or if they are in a serious accident.
The policy cost varies depending upon ones age, benefits, and deductible periods.
I never realized that Medicare did not cover long-term health care, this whole time I thought that was the coverage my residents had. I think that long term coverage and care needs to be a nationwide policy.

That's it, nice work everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Shar-
    Great job on the learning activities.. ya mine was very long.. haha.. it took quite some time but learned a lot.. I am super sad that this class is over.. well great job and I'll see ya lata!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shar!
    Good job on the learning activities, it sounds like you really engaged yourself in the assignments and you learned a lot! So did I :) I am glad for my activity you are aware of the serious threats of lead posioning!
    Yay, later!!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shar

    Wonderful job on all of those activities! Looks like you learned a ton (as did all of us I think!) Health insurance is huge... the end!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shar- I agree with you that I can't imagine not having access to health care. It is so important! Good job on all of these learning activities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Shar! Great job with the phobia thing! Yah its such a weird thing that people truely are scared to death of those things!

    ReplyDelete